Last summer I was battling high-blood pressure, and I learned that avocados are a good food to eat for lowering blood pressure. So I started keeping them on hand all the time, and eating them regularly. Around the same time I also bought some no-salt-added cottage cheese. Now, normally I like eating just plain cottage cheese, but this stuff was terrible! In the process of searching for ways to make this bland cottage cheese more edible, I came across the idea of using cottage cheese in guacamole. You can use salted or no salt cottage cheese with this recipe–just adjust the additional salt according to what you use.
Apparently there is an enzyme in cottage cheese that can help prevent the avocado from turning brown. Your mileage may vary on that. My guacamole rarely lasts long enough to turn brown in my fridge, but there have been times when the top of the guacamole did turn brown after a day in the fridge even with cottage cheese in it.
Another benefit to the cottage cheese in this guacamole is that it makes the dip quite filling. My husband and I often make a meal out of it with a handful of corn chips or pita crisps.
I make this guacamole dip in my Magic Bullet blender, but I’m sure a regular blender or food processor would work just as well. For the Magic Bullet, I use the large blender cup and cross blade, and usually have to shake it a few times to get the blending started.
This recipe is easy to adjust to your own taste. Think of these measurements as rough guidelines.
5-Minute Guacamole Dip
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp. garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- dash of white pepper (or to taste--a little goes a long way)
- lime zest (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup your favorite picante sauce or salsa (I prefer picante because it's thinner and easier to blend.)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Lime juice
- Put all items in the blending cup--in the order listed, for easier blending in the magic bullet.
- Blend until smooth. You may need to shake the blending cup a few times or tap it on the counter to get the blending started.
- Scoop into a bowl and enjoy!