The daughter of a dear friend is going through her second round of chemo treatments and she commented the other day about having the “Chemo Crankies.” I immediately remembered the small yarn tangles I (and many other crafters) have made called “fits.” The idea being you can “throw a fit.” I wanted to make something more substantial for my friend’s daughter though but still whimsical so I finally decided on a primitive style doll with a bandana head cover in the color used to represent the cancer she fights. These are a cute idea for something to give to family and friends struggling with a fight against cancer and a good way to use up scrap cloth.
So make one or a dozen of these chemo crankies dolls with this free sewing pattern. Note that I offer this free licensing for personal use, not for you to sell or make dolls for sale. If you are determined to sell dolls anyway at least feel guilty enough to donate a chemo crankies doll to a local hospital for every one you sell.
Roughly 1/8 yard fabric for doll
Scrap fabric in “cancer color” for bandana
Pattern (click here for PDF pattern for personal use)
Chemo Cranky Doll Instructions
- Use the pattern and cut out two doll shapes in fabric of your choice.
- Place shapes right sides together and sew around with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving space open at the top of the head for turning.
- Turn sewn doll.
- Stuff with batting or fill with rice. If you fill it with rice it not only works as a microwaveable hand warmer, it has a nice heft for throwing at whomever is annoying you.
- Blindstitch the opening at the top of the head.
Chemo Cranky Doll Bandana Instructions
- Cut two 12″ x 4″ rectangle from the “cancer color” fabric.
- Fold in half so that they is now 6″ x 4″.
- Cut on the diagonal (fold stays intact, do not cut off the fold) to create two triangles 12″ wide and 4″ tall when unfolded.
- Place triangles right sides together and sew, leaving an opening on the long side for turning.
- Turn bandana and top stitch around the edges.
- Center triangle point on back of doll’s head and pin.
- Fold long side of triangle over doll’s head so that it fits about where the forehead should be. Pin in place.
- Fold long points of triangle back so that they cross over evenly behind doll’s head. Pin in place.
- Hand sew (or hot glue) the three points of the triangle together so the bandana keeps it shape. Remove pins.
- Now hand sew (or hot glue) the bandana to the head.