I love a good tuna salad sandwich. The bread has to be fresh, perhaps a sour dough or a good rye bread. Even Wonder Bread works if it’s absolutely fresh! If it’s not fresh, then it has to be toasted or grilled, but that’s a recipe for another day.
The reason people ask for my recipe must be the secret ingredient. It’s a staple in the refrigerator, but it adds just the right zing to tuna salad.
Chunky Tuna and Egg Salad
This salad is an all-time favorite and the tarter the apple, the better. Think Granny Smith or something similar.
For a heartier meal, use this tuna salad to make a tuna melt.
- 1 large can of tuna, drained
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 medium size TART apple, washed and quartered
- ranch dressing
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hard boil the eggs, let cool, then cut into chunks.
- Grate or shred apple, leaving skin on for color and added crunch.
- Mix hard boiled eggs, apple and tuna fish together.
- Add equal amounts of ranch dressing and mayonnaise to taste. It all depends on how moist or creamy you prefer. I use slightly less than 1/4 cup of each.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill and enjoy.