So Amazon was late with your 2 day shipping included in your Prime membership. What now? Now you put in a request for a one month extension of your Prime membership. Per Amazon’s Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery Fine Print (the actual name for the policy), a qualifying late Amazon Prime shipment results in a one month extension of your Amazon Prime membership. Note that Free Amazon Student memberships are not eligible for this. There is a limit to 12 extensions within a year period.
While there are no instructions listed for how to ask for this extension, I found the process to be pretty simple once I found the right links.
- Click on one of the “contact us” links scattered throughout the Amazon help pages.
- Click on “An Order I Placed” and if the order that was late does not show look to the right on your screen and chose “choose a different order”.
- Select the order in question and then click the check mark next to the item(s) that were late (not shown on the example screen).
- Note that late orders have the yellow highlighted text about the shipment being delayed.
- Under the second section select the following from the drop down menus: “Problem with an order,” “Shipment or delivery issues,” and “Shipment is late.”
- Under the third section select how you would like to contact Amazon. I suggest “email” or “chat.” If you select email a small window will appear to allow you to type in that you want the Prime membership extension due to a missed delivery date. Be nice, Amazon reps are almost always very polite and friendly.
- Enjoy your extended membership.
So why do late shipments happen in the first place? Well, sometimes it is just plain carrier issues where the company delivering the package misses their own guarantees. Other times Amazon gambles that non-guaranteed 2 day delivery from carriers will work out. For example, sending packages regular mail and hoping they’ll get to you in time. Most of our missed delivery dates have come from this practice but Amazon has never been anything but nice and quick in crediting our membership with the extensions when a deadline is missed.